Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Lacking Lilacs

To all of the gardeners out there!!!!!





Here is my lilac tree, it was bought on Mothers Day weekend 2004 near my sisters house up in the north country. It does grow every year, but has never had a lilac on it. I would want nothing more than to have a vase of lilacs in my house off of my own tree. Usually I go to my mom's or to my friends to get them, but that is getting old. I want to be able to go out my door to my own tree. Does anyone have any ideas for me ?

6 comments:

Gale said...

The one I planted at the same time had one flower last year. To early to tell how many, if any, this year. Maybe it just takes awhile. I wish I had an answer for you. The tree has a nice shape thou.

Unknown said...

Get Sydney to poop around it

Amie said...

HAHA...I love bone's comment! I love ou sid-dog :)

lilpoppy said...

Too bad it is on the wrong side of the fence. But then again if it was on syd's side it would probably be dug up by now.

ke said...

Lilacs can take 4 or 5 seasons to flower. They need a nice cool winter, which is not a problem in NY, but if you suspect that the winter is too harsh, make sure you have a hardy variety (if you bought it in NY, this is probably not a problem). A harsh winter can destroy the buds since they bud on last season's wood. Also never prune them past mid summer because, you will prune off the part from which next year's blooms will come. Don't over fertilize as this will just make more green vegetation. One very important thing is that they need a lot of sunshine. It could be buried a bit too deeply; if you suspect this, just remove a bit of dirt from the base. Chances are, it may just not be quite old enough; 4 or 5 seasons seems like an eternity when you are waiting for something to bloom.

Anonymous said...

Gale brought me one several years ago that I planted in a nice sunny place and lime it twice a year. Last year, it had 2 or 3 flowers, but this year, it's covered! I thing time is the key.